Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Mother's Tears

I can't believe I'm even blogging about this, but I'm hoping for some suggestions. I have a son whom I love very much who is fighting the same old demons he has always fought. They have just intensified again. He struggles with believing he is lovable and worth loving. He doesn't seem to have strong feelings or attachments to anything. I've found through counseling he feels closest to me. Yet he can't be honest with me. He doesn't believe that he deserves to be happy. He blames himself for mistakes adults in his life have made. And it breaks my heart. He understands his family loves him. But there is this part of him that just believes he is not worth loving. He pulls stunts just to prove he is unlovable. I just wish there was some magic pill to take away his unhappiness, to see that life is for enjoying. Any ideas would be appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. I think that we always need to remember that the way we feel about ourselves and our attitudes have so much impact on our children. I see it in Nathan, when I get depressed he is sad and sluggish. When I get wrapped up in other things and forget about him he lashes out to get noticed and does very naughty things. We have to teach them every minute by example. Weather it be our actions, our attitudes, or what we say, we need to constantly be watchful of what we are teaching them. It is so easy to treat them like adults and expect them to make good adult decisions. They cannot, sometimes I still cannot. Get a blessing, have him get a blessing. Turn to the church and the Lord. We have these trials because we still have something to learn. I hope that everything starts to turn around. The most important thing is to always make sure that he knows that his family loves him. I will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that you have very special spirits that you have chosen to help in this life and the next. Thus you have a very special spirit. Heavenly Father heals those spirits when we are obedient and show faith. Sometimes that means we need to take what seems to us....extreme measures...sacrifices.
    If we have the faith to do HIS will then he will open doors we didn't even know were there.
    Hang in there Susanne! You are in our prayers! Prayers are sometimes all we can do...and sometimes we feel we are helpless...but prayers are more powerful than we think sometimes. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Britt and your friend have wonderful suggestions that I don't think I could really add to. Although, I do believe it's really important to verbalize the good things that we see our children do and verbalize our love and appreciation for them no matter what and try to minimize the response to the naughty things they do. Not easy at times, but I do think it's helpful.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear your thoughts...